What to Do in the Marico Biosphere Reserve:
Stores in Groot Marico Town
1. Joseph se Winkel or General Store situated in the main road of Groot Marico town sells food, drinks, clothes, shoes, stationary, hardware items, fishing tackle, appliances, basic medical supplies etc. Contact Details: Salim Tel. 014 503 0044.
2. The Shed offers customers fresh produce, jams, home baked goodies, as well as antiques and plants. The store is located in the main road of Groot Marico town. Contact Details: Jannie Coetzee Cell. 082 926 7160, Hennie Visser Cell. 084 993 3334.
3. The Corner Café sells bread, fresh farm milk, fruit & vegetables, magazines, newspapers, wood, Indian spices & herbs, general goods etc. Delicious take-
4. Many Hands Shop creates traditional African styled clothing, dresses, paintings & craftwork. The shop is situated in the main road of Groot Marico town. Contact Details: Jolene Muir Cell. 079 955 8119.
5. Marico Bosveld Slaghuis/Butchery located in the main road of Groot Marico town specialises in homemade boerewors, salamis, russians, vienna and sells braaipap, farm fresh jersey milk, heavenly carrot cake, home baked rusks, local newspapers and braai wood. Contact Details: Amanda Tel. 014 503 0025, Cell. 062 828 3809.
Contact details: Direct Tel. 071 696 3124 or Francois Rademan Cell. 082 338 5394 & Nadine Rademan Cell. 072 354 8983.
2. Outpost Safaris The Trading Post, bakes fresh breads, cakes, tarts and any type of
bread rolls daily. Meals served daily includes delicious breakfasts and coffee, lunch specials, pizzas and take-
3. # 14 Downtown Marico, Health Emporium houses: -
4. Marico Sunset Oasis Restaurant serves delicious meals. The bar is fully licensed. Situated 4km from Groot Marico en-
5. The BJ’s Diner and Take-
6. Die Vaalkop Bosveldkroeg/Pub is situated between Groot Marico and Zeerust on the N4 Highway. This local Pub offers big screen TV for sports enthusiast and a pool table. Contact Details: Johan Cell. 082 496 2695 or 084 821 2268.
Places of Interest & Tours
(Visiting or tour fees per person are applicable – please inquire on booking)
The big old house in which the INFORMATION CENTRE is situated, is the original farmhouse on the farm Wonderfontein on which the town was developed. Santa and Egbert will welcome you here with the traditional honey mampoer liqueur. You can support the local craft/arts project and there is also a bookroom to spend time in.
Contact Santa on 083 272 2958
(Daily or activity fees per person are applicable – please inquire on booking)
1. Visit the Marico Eye/Die Oog -
2. Game Drives at Koedoesfontein Wilderness. Private & guided game viewing can be arranged at Sunrise or Sunset. Bookings are essential. Contact Details: Francois Rademan Cell. 082 338 5394.
3. Swimming, fishing or picnics at the Marico/Riekerts Dam. Day visitors are welcome. Contact Details: Hansie Schmulling Cell. 083 733 4251.
4. Riverstill Guest Farm provides day visitors or guests with the opportunity to participate in fishing & swimming in the Groot Marico River. Prior arrangements are necessary. Contact Details: Jacques du Plessis Cell. No. 082 341 8898, Tel. 014 503 1059.
5. Thabo Drumming organises and facilitates drumming sessions for groups of no less than 10 people. Bookings are essential.
Contact Details: Louis Muir Cell. 082 453 3111 and Jolene Muir Cell. 079 955 8119.
6. Sound Journeys are a relaxing, gentle, healing sound ‘massage’ experience which uses various acoustical instruments within the natural environment of the Groot Marico River. Group bookings (minimum 10 people).
Contact Details: Santa van Bart Cell. 083 272 2958, Tel. 014 503 0085, Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Ghong Bath Sessions includes a sound therapy experience for small groups of people or on a private basis. The healing vibrations of sound made by the washing or striking of the ghong aids in easing tension & facilitating feelings of relaxation. Bookings are essential. Contact Details: Grant Smith Cell. 071 222 6707.
8. Kearney’s Guest farm offers cliff jumping into the Groot Marico River, hiking trails, 4x4 routes, mountain biking and a full obstacle course just for fun or teambuilding, and much more. Prior arrangements are necessary. Contact details: Steyn Kearney Cell. 082 803 3628 Email: email@example.com, www.kearneysguestfarmobstacleadventures.webs.com
9. Relax in the beautiful gardens of the Herb and Avo Farm and enjoy a refreshing ice-
10. The Madikwena Game Farm & Croc Ranch/Inn allows visitors to view crocodiles, participate in game drives and hunting by prior appointment. Contact Details: Daphne Reader Cell. 083 293 7090.
11. The Bokkraal Waterfall Valley is well known for the dolomitic Tufa Waterfalls. This venue offers hiking trails, mountain bike trails, horseback riding and places of historical & natural interest. Hikers can explore the scenic natural environment, waterways, rock pools and waterfalls. Contact Details: Tel. 014 503 8906, Cell. 082 358 6210 or 082 777 2047, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Walk, hike or mountain bike The Eco-
13. Evergreen Guest Farm provides day visitors or guests the opportunity to
picnic, braai, fish & swim in the Groot Marico River. In season, come and pick your own oranges, lemons, grapefruit, naartjies and pecan nuts. Bring your own mountain bikes and come and enjoy riding along our multitude of dirt roads in and around the farm. Prior arrangements are necessary. Contact Details: Lynnie & Rob Kriel Cell. No. 082 784 1782, Tel. 014 503 1057.
14. Evergreen River Guest Farm also hosts Llewellyn Kriel, The Stickman of Groot Marico, who creates unique handcrafted walking & hiking sticks on site. Each hiking stick is hand painted featuring the fauna & flora of the Marico Biosphere Reserve. Visitors and guests can purchase walking sticks in stock or place an order. Prior arrangements are necessary. Contact details: Llewellyn Kriel Cell. 071 388 4646, Tel. 014 503 1094.
15. Aura Farm is an oyster mushroom and medicinal herb farm located on the Groot Marico River. An energetically uplifting, relaxing environment where guests & day visitors are welcome. Visit our mushroom growing facilities, get info on mushroom cultivation & a mushroom tasting session. Aura Farm also offers holistic health retreats, practical spiritual living sessions, health workshops & personal healing treatments like Metamorphosis, anti-
1. Shawn Erasmus of Lowveld Venom Suppliers is professionally trained in the safe capture & relocation of snakes in and around the Marico Biosphere Reserve. Shawn is available for call out snake capture services or by appointment to facilitate “Awareness Talks” or “Snake Shows” at private venues. Snake handling equipment can also be purchased directly through Shawn. Snake Handling Courses are held regularly in Groot Marico and all are welcome to attend. Please contact Shawn for costings on services, talks, shows and courses on offer. Contact details: Shawn Erasmus Cell. 064 794 5057, Email: email@example.com
1. Marico Mountain Bike Race in August
This event is one of the best mountain bike races in South Africa. Book online: www.cycleevents.co.za or www.entrytime.com
The distances to book for are of 5, 20, 40, 50 or 60 km. Participants, families, friends and visitors can enjoy the end-
2. Bosman Weekend Festival in October
This prime event occurs every year in Groot Marico.
Guests and festival goers can make bookings or enquiries on Tel. 014 503 0085 or Cell. 083 272 2958 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The NH Kerk has its annual Safari Karnaval on the first Saturday of June. A real country occasion with lots of home made stuff and meat products to buy and a very popular auction of what so ever.
4. The NG Kerk has its annual Bosveldfees on the Easter Saturday. Many people display their goods as at a street market and there are lots of food and good meat for sale as at a real old time church bazaar.